Summer is here which means walking around barefoot or in sandals. Those of us who like to spend our days at the beach or just walking around on the grass have to be extra careful. Whether it’s walking on the sand or running on the grass our feet are even more vulnerable in the heat. Here are some tips on how to keep your feet safe in the heat.
- Try to minimize walking around barefoot. This can limit sunburn as well as athlete’s foot, plantar warts, and other bacterial infections.
- Make sure to wear shoes or sandals around the pool, the beach, gym locker room, and other such areas to avoid injury and to prevent contracting bacterial, fungal, or viral infections.
- Make sure to apply sunscreen all over your feet and ankles when you are outdoors. Make sure to reapply the sunscreen after you have been in the water.
- Make sure to wear the appropriate shoes for the type of activity you participating in. This will help prevent injury.
- Make sure to stay hydrated at all times. Drink lots of water to keep the body hydrated and to help reduce swelling in the legs and feet.
- If going on vacation to a warm climate, make sure to take an emergency kit with you that includes band aids, antibacterial ointment, aloe vera, pumice stone, flip flops, and an emollient to keep the skin hydrated.
If you would like more information on how to protect your feet in the heat please contact Ontario Foot and Orthotics at our Milton office (905)878-6479. Remember happy feet are healthy feet!