The most common foot problems associated with jogging or running are blisters, corns, calluses, athlete’s foot, shin splints, Achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis. Below are some important prevention-minded foot care tips for runners.
Top tips for foot care for runners:
- Keep your feet and shoes powdered, this will absorb moisture and reduce friction.
- Wear clean socks every time you run.
- Make sure your shoes fit properly. Bring your insert when shopping and make sure it fits the shoe you are considering purchasing.
- Let your body be your guide so you don’t strain your feet or joints; don’t try to run through pain.
- Shoes should provide cushioning for shock absorption.
- Prevent Achilles tendonitis by always stretching your lower leg muscles before and after every workout.
- Wear shoes made out of breathable materials such as canvas or leather.
It is inevitable for runners to get injured, so have your chiropodist assess your feet to guide you to choose the right foot care regimen, give you tips on preventing injuries and guide you to help handle foot-related injuries.
To arrange an assessment, contact Ontario Foot and Orthotics at 519-623-3000 in Cambridge or 905-878-6479 in Milton. Visit us online at www.ontariofoot.ca.