Summer is almost here which means sandal season is here! We can finally get rid of those winter boots and bring out our sandals. Although sandals can be comfortable, there are certain qualities you should look for when selecting the right sandal.
- Try to avoid wearing flip flops for long periods of time. They do not provide proper support to the foot and can cause heel pain and other foot ailments if worn for long periods of time. Flip flops are good for wearing around the pool, beach, or for short periods of time.
- Wear a full open-toe sandal as opposed to a peep toe sandal. Peep toe sandals can put increased pressure on your bunions and can irritate hammer toes or claw toes. A foot open toe shoe will minimize pressure on these areas and won’t cause the toes to compress together allowing them to move around better.
- Try not to wear sandals that have a very high heel. This can put pressure on the balls of the foot causing pain. Find sandals that have a wedge heel or a small platform to evenly distribute the pressure along the foot and avoid increased pressure in one area.
- Avoid wearing sandals that have a lot of straps around the toes. This can cause irritation to the toes from all the rubbing and shearing from the straps. The rubbing can lead to blisters, corns and calluses around the toes.
- Find sandals that have a good rubber sole with traction. This will help prevent slips and falls and is good for long distance walking.
For more information on good qualities of a sandal or any other footwear, contact Ontario Foot and Orthotics at our Milton office (905)878-6479. We look forward to hearing from you!